25.3.06

RECIPE! Chocolate Silver Dollar Pancakes

No idea where the “Silver Dollar” part comes from but I was craving chocolate big time one night a few weeks ago and was quite delighted to see that this recipe from Miss Weber’s Benjamin Logan High School 9th grade Home Ec. class (1978) was still in my recipe box. I’m adding some recent health/diet-conscious tweaks I’ve tried lately with fair success. I’m not going to include the incredibly detailed cooking instructions (I guess you have to put in every teensy piece of the procedure if you’re writing a recipe for a bunch of 14-year-olds who may or may not know what a stove is). Basically cook them like you would any pancakes, turn when bubbles start staying burst, make them as big or small around as you like, and YUM! Bob’s your uncle.

Dry mixture:
(sift or stir together)
1¼ c. flour (I’ve been using ½ c. whole wheat flour and ¾ c. regular and the consistency has been about the same)
½ c. sugar (Time before last I used only ¼ c. sugar and they were still yummy; the last time I used ½ c. Splenda instead and it was fine)
3 T. cocoa
2 t. baking powder
½ t. salt
¼ t. soda

Wet mixture:
Beat slightly one egg
Add to egg:
1¼ c. milk (I use soy milk and they’re great)
¼ c. oil
½ t. vanilla

Make a pit in dry mixture, add wet mixture all at once and stir ‘til no lumps (I actually get the batter almost frothy so that the pancakes end up fluffier, but they're pretty yummy either way). Cook on lightly greased griddle or skillet or ungreased non-stick pan (I of course use my fun crêpe pan). :) Makes about 20 4-5" pancakes.

The non-sugar, non-dairy, half whole wheat ones I now just keep in the fridge pretty regularly and eat with peanut butter or plain when I’m craving chocolate but don’t want to be Really Bad. Other serving suggestions: use as a dessert with whipped cream, fruit syrup, chocolate syrup (tho at your own risk – these are quite chocolatey on their own), marshmallow sauce, etc. They’re probably too rich to use for actual breakfast fare but no shame if you want to go that way. kee.

3 commentaires:

Applecart T. a dit…

this is much more sophisticated and destined to be accurate than my typical "hmm, what flourlike thing can i throw together and use this cocoa powder - since it's the only chocolate in the house?" concoctions.

often, this has to be accomplished without eggs or milk, since that's what losers lose first in their fridge between shopping trips.

and, when there are eggs, often they end up in the "chocolate random cookie dough" i make instead. . .

Jessica a dit…

Bob is my cousin, not my uncle.
Ha! That joke never gets old. but seriously... he is my cousin.

Anyway... Maybe we should call them copper dollars? or wooden nickles? or just purely delicious? I will run to the store and buy ingredients for these. Well, tomorrow. Store's closed on mondays.

They look totally yummers.

Susan a dit…

Chocolate random cookie dough sounds great to me! And as for sophisticated these are not in the slightest - if you can make pancakes you can make these Trancy. :)

Let me know how they go Jess. They are seriously yummy.