11.4.06

Gone to pot


I kinda like this pot altho I’m not sure what I would use it for and if & when I start having better results again this one probably won’t make the cut for my Personal Pottery Stash and will head to the Salvation Army box or something. When I’m not paying close enough attention, my pots generally default to kind of a flowerpot shape, tho at least this one is more squat than most and I like the grooves in the side (one of my trademarks!). Also the glazing turned out pretty fun. For the moment this is my new penny pot. (I forgot to put something in for scale - it is smallish: about 4" high and 5" in diameter.)

This reminds me that Lisa put in a standing order for any pots that are doomed to the thrift store box. They are to go to her instead. This is OK except for the problem of having a houseful of Susan Rejects somewhere so that whenever Lisa has visitors most of the pieces they see are what I consider to be substandard work.

Scenario
The year is 2037, somewhere in Austin, San Francisco or Nashville.
Lisa guest: Wow, look at all the pottery.
Lisa: Yeah, isn’t it incredible?
Lisa guest (thinking, That’s not exactly the word I’d use): Absolutely!
Lisa: My friend Susan made them all!
Lisa guest: All 173?! Such consistency! Such uniformity!
Lisa: Yeah, she makes a lot of pottery; she has been doing it for about 35 years now.
Lisa guest (thinking, Not for money, I hope…) : Wow… yeah… um… you can really tell there’s a lot of… um… experience there…


The only thing I can think of to do about this is to take Lisa on a wee Notary Public field trip so she can sign a solemn oath never to reveal who made the ugly pots. Alternatively I could hire someone to steal all the ugly pottery. She would never question their wanting all those incredibly wondrous pieces!

Good thing (shhhh!) I do not give her the Really Ugly pots. And for the record, I do give her nice pots as well.

1 commentaire:

Jessica a dit…

As a person who saved a certain flower vase from the salvation army bin, maybe all orange pots could be saved "just until Jessica arrives back to stateside and can pick a few to keep"?

But probably since you didn't like the carrot soup color, you are not making any in that color.

I miss Susan's pots. Wish I could hold one.

Drat, Gotta run to work.