4.5.06

Shotgun Tidbits...

...because I'm too fried and busy right now to concentrate on anything bigger but this way you know I'm still kicking.

1. freaky hours lately so I never get to scope on the cute Haley pop machine guy anymore

2. AU in its infinite wisdom has decided that finals week is a great time to start another major traffic-blocking construction project right outside Haley (the fact that I should not be troubled by this notwithstanding)

3. eye doctor tomorrow! New glasses finally. Ahhhh. So no more or at least perhaps less of the looking over the tops of my glasses or removing them entirely to see certain ahem closer-up things. Also no more exasperated grabs of my polishing cloth only to remember that it's the 300 gazillion lens scratches, not dirt.

4. still pretty much caught up on work each day, tho as I spend almost every minute buried until a stopping point in the evening, obviously it is not exactly as easy as pie...

5. ...a saying I used to think was completely illogical but pie, tho slightly time-consuming, can be easy, or at least turn out surprisingly well for yours truly with not a monumental amount of effort so I guess maybe the saying would still not be accurate for everyone but I can probably use it with impunity (tho I've probably just jinxed my pies by saying that)

6. in French they use kind of an opposite version of the saying, i.e. to illustrate how hard something is, and they cite cake instead of pie, e.g. Whew! You can do it like that if you want to, but I did it that way and it's not cake! Come to think of it we also cite cake for easiness when we say something is a cakewalk... I have to say cakes can be hard - my last homemade cocoa cake came out flatter 'n flounder, as Mom used to say. If I had more energy I'd try to get a bunch more food-oriented colloquialisms in here, and maybe a few more latinate abbreviations...

7. all of my Michelin tutoring this week was cancelled yesterday. Again it's not drudgery with this guy at all but still this was a good week for some extra free time to appear. Kinda sad actually that some of my university students won't need any more tutoring. Macie will be back in the fall at least and hinted that she would possibly be calling.

8. almost no end-sem student ickiness so far! ('Course I've only had one final and only one final grade turned out borderline...)

9. watching Un Homme et une femme for the millionth time the last few days. One of my students wants to borrow it so I thought I'd watch it again before giving it to her. This time a few things are striking me as slightly hokey but I think it's largely the fact that part of my head is wondering what the student will think as she sees various things. I hope she reserves judgment long enough to enjoy the payoff. Knowing Allison, she will. Not your average student.

10. have I said how much the Scantron place rocks?!

11. I found a dime this morning =)

12. haircut tomorrow! and almost no school stuff (shhh... it's a secret... but something just got cancelled so I'm hoping to make this weekend a nice 3-dayer as the next few weeks could well have me pulling my hair out or at least being mighty bitchy pretty much 24/7... Note countdown: is that cool or what?!)

13. 1/3 of the way thru Anna Karenina, which verbage probably illustrates how it's going. I was OK until that wacky dream chapter. Well, "OK" after factoring in my distracted mindset these days, my lack of reading time, my not unremarkable fatigue, etc. But honestly even in the best of times that freaky chapter would have thrown me for a loop. I may have to do some research this summer to figure it out. If anyone studied AK in grad. school or just loves it and has read it a million times or wants to read it again and talk to me about that chapter, yes please!

So there.
Bai.

2 commentaires:

Applecart T. a dit…

I tried to read AK once. . .over a decade ago. Tried to read (oh crap, I can't spell the Joycian marathon!), you get the point.

Your working at busy life makes me feel like I am lazy.

Susan a dit…

You kill me. Or maybe I should say WE do, because I always think the same kinds of things when I look at your blog - but it's usually stuff like: ohhh, I should be more serious when I write on my blog, or I should talk about more substantial things, I should be less Susan-focused and think more about environmental and social stuff, etc., like t. does... As for my working hard, I will admit to being surprisingly efficient lately, but it's a huge mystery to me. Somehow I turned on some robot mode - it's not necessarily a fun place to be, at all, it's just what has to exist right now I guess and for whatever reason I'm not procrastinating on stuff hardly at all... I have some theories (long and verbose and hyper-analytical) about some of the whys and wherefores... mostly I'd rather be inefficient doing something I liked than be a robot like now doing stuff I'm not terribly enthused about (my teaching is not exactly in this category, or only sometimes - mostly here I of course refer to the conference gack)... I'd just like to be doing something someday sometime someplace that I didn't regard as "having to do" and that I ...um... what's the word?... Oh: took pleasure in. Call me crazy... I wish that for both of us t. :)