4.8.06

Quilt VI - washed and spread!

All done and washed as I said the other day. Take a look and see what you think. First here's a view of the underneath (blur alert) so you can pretty much see the quilting logic I followed:

The washing made it quite puffy (almost overboard) but it's fine 'cause it makes it more antique-quilt-y even tho the colors are too vibrant to support that. Here's some close-up puffies:

Lucy's handy tennis ball for scale (in case you can't tell from the wind-up guinea pig):

Finally remembered to take some natural light shots this time. You can see how different the colors look that way - much more blue. So, artificial light:

vs. natural light:

It doesn't look quite that different in real life but there is a marked change all the same.

Seriously I'm amazed at how beautiful it is - not b/c of the fact that I made it or anything, tho I am pretty happily surprised at how well it turned out, but the colors themselves and the design and the quilt-stitching plan I followed all work together exceedingly well.

I didn't put much planning at all into the colors/fabrics themselves, really. Half of them I had had for several years, the others I bought with only a small idea of their meshing well. The design I chose because it seemed like the easiest one I had found that was still complex enough to look interesting. The color shifts (where my favorite versus my less favorite colors would go in the layout) is the thing I put the most thought into. Then the stitching I really just did diagonally because A it seemed like it would be easier than stitching in the trough (stitching between all the pieces in the piecing seamlines) and B I wanted the quilting lines to be somewhat close together to see if it would make it puffier (and OK, yes, also I was dorkily paranoid about the batting falling apart inside).

N.B. Those of you who think this is the standard Susan Disclaimer like when I'm (according to some of you) too critical of my pottery, etc. (to which I still say: my pottery rocks but seeing stuff I want to improve upon or am not crazy about with each piece is fully my right!), forget it - I take full and hearty credit for the exceeding funness of this creation - this is not denial of that funness, but surprise and delight at the measure of that funness! :)

In case you're sick of quilt shots, here's fair warning. Since it matches my blog so well and since I have a handful of leftover pix, I might be compelled to insert shots from time to time for general blog embellishment. Alas poor you!

2 commentaires:

Applecart T. a dit…

wind up ginea pig. kee.

Susan a dit…

it is really too funny - one of those things I bought just because I couldn't resist even tho I knew S&L would never play with it... actually when you wind it up they just stare and sniff at it but --crazy!-- Lucy plays with it on her own at times in lieu of her tennis ball. who knew??!!