25.9.06

La La La La La!!!

So I owe Eric Big Time. He heard thru his choir activities about the English Anthem Ensemble (16th & 17th c., Purcell & Co.) - someone's Master's project in need of volunteer voices for an autumn of rehearsals and a performance in January. He told me about it and I went tonight for the first time.

Holy shit it was great. (npi)

I mean I knew I was missing music all these years but it was really quite indescribably fun and cool and exciting to be Singing again. Also petrifying since my voice is Very Weak Indeed and my sight reading is a bit rusty as well. But in general I think I acquitted myself honorably. I couldn't believe what work it was on the one hand (funny to imagine how all the breath support and vocalization used to be second nature to me) and on the other once I was warmed up and over my bashfulness I was pleasantly surprised with how I sounded, notwithstanding 20 years of virtually no real singing that is.

Of course... just what I needed: one more commitment on the schedule. But this one will give more than it takes I believe. I was like a new woman walking home.

Who was it that talked me out of doing the vocal performance degree at BG again way back when??!! Just kidding... It was me, basically. I knew (and I was right) that I never would have had the discipline to do that. (And that's neither sour grapes nor self-denigration, simply healthy self-knowledge :)

Anyway it's tremendously cool to get back to something so enriching for me.

Eric: Merci bien mon pote.

2 commentaires:

Applecart T. a dit…

yes yes! enrich!

that's awesome. i forget (perpetually) to do anything that gives me more than it takes.

brava!

Susan a dit…

don't we all! weird that that should be such a hard thing to fit in but it is.