2.7.09

La Pucelle Armée

La Pucelle is the French term of endearment for Joan of Arc, or Jeanne d'Arc, je veux dire. Jeanne came through Tours in 1429 on her way to Orléans to pick up new armor. She picked it up here in this house:







Voilà. Nothing earth-shattering today but quite cool, no? If anyone wants me to show them around Orléans and Rouen, two other significant Jeanne d'Arc locales, just let me know the salary and grab me in time to put in my notice for fall. Kidding! Unless you think it's at all workable...? We'd have to take the cats of course...

2 commentaires:

Applecart T. a dit…

Such old houses. We had a French art student here this weekend (somewhat unexpectedly), and our house is only 1911-20 or so. There is more to this story, of course. I remember sitting on the gym tile floor in Catholic school and watching some projected movie rendition of the life of Jean d'Arc. I don't remember much — why she was fighting or what for, for example. Sad! I have a better idea now, but it was learned in French class in high school and like most knowledge from that era of my life, it is fading.

Susan a dit…

was it La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc? it's the best - probably wasn't one of the later ones since you would have been out of school by then :)