2.3.06

invisible cats

So I went in the bedroom last night (read: super late after office and then couch/veg time) to get ready for bed and Lucy was on the bed and usually Sam is right next to her but I couldn't find him. Second option where he often lies is on the orange closet rug: no Sammers. Bathroom rug? No. Back to the livingroom - he must be on the window shelf behind the curtain. Nope. Glance at the kitchen rug on my way back to the bathroom, still no tawny cat. Starting to get nervous. OH! Duh. I never looked in the bathtub; he’ll be in there grinning at me with that “I’ve been here the whole time, what the heck are you so worried about?!” look… Empty tub… Now bear in mind he’s pretty easy to see when he’s in the tub, that is it’s quite clear to the average human when you have a white bathtub and you look right in it with nothing blocking your view of the entire thing whether there is a cat in there or not. But those of you who know me best will not be surprised to know that I actually looked back in it a second time before leaving the bathroom to make sure that I hadn’t missed him the first time, incredulous as I was and having very few remaining options of places in my teensy abode to check for absent purrboxes. Anyway as I leaned back around the shower (albeit mostly transparent) curtain to be absolutely certain he wasn’t camouflaged into the corner somehow, I hear a Samchirp from the bed.

...


...


...


...


Wait for it...


...


...


...


...


...


...


Seriously, it's worth it...


...


...


...


...


...


...



Kee.


It’s funny because Sam and Lucy are not generally burrowers. Sam enjoys the occasional bent-humanleg duvet tent for napping and playing hide & seek with his sister of a Saturday lie-in morning, but neither of them has ever gone under the duvet on their own just to sleep before (unlike Lola in Cleveland whose whereabouts during the day were regularly relayed by the solitary lump under the blankets smack in the middle of the bed).

Anyway as usual Sam Henry was quite content to stay put for the photo op, unlike his squirmy sister. Squirmingness is why I always have more pix of the former. It truly is not because he does fun stuff more than she. In fact it’s probably quite the reverse, but it is next to impossible to get Lucy to sit still. Even when she is induced to stay in position with most of her body, she is constantly trying to smell the camera or your hands or the air or she is simply bobbing her head around to get various angles on you, the camera, one of their furry white mice she just noticed on the floor behind you, or whatever imaginary birdies are flying around her head.

Either that or she’s a phantom and I’m the only one for whom she is tangible. That would be a fun way to explain the blurry pix – they’re like those Victorian fairy pix, you know? And really when both she and Sammers are in the front window it’s even more believable that she be a specter, as you see a faint cat outline, with her eyes and just a few flecks of gold and white floating around within. So next time you're at our house, if you suddenly hear purring around you, don't worry, it's just Lucia giving you some ghostly kit love.



...



It's getting worse, isn't it... I really am going to be one of those shameless old cat ladies... I guess there are worse fates...

1 commentaire:

Jessica a dit…

Aww, I miss the Cheshire cats! Now you see them, now you don't!! I wish they would appear here to give me a meow!