17.7.06

Quilt IV - pin basting

Make that: pin basting in my teensy apartment with no big enough work surfaces for a queen-sized quilt making for quite strategic and imaginative pinning methods indeed... :)


Well first of all, hooray7531 to whoever thought of the fun bendy quilting safety pins. Holy cow those rock.

Secondly, all the books said that if I'm quilting by machine it's better to baste with pins than with actual stitching... if any purists are out there. Of course quilting it by machine is maybe not entirely respected by some but I think it is fine, especially for my first quilt. It may be less time consuming but it is pretty challenging in its own right. I'll have to bring more pix later for you to fully appreciate how crazy it is to make a seam all the way across a huge quilt on a little tiny sewing machine on my little drop leaf dinner table. It's not cake, I'll tell you! (You might have to refer back to an entry in April or May for the French reference there.)

Basically the reason it's rolled up on the sides here is that that is how you fit it into and around the machine (if you do your quilting on your standard sewing machine instead of a big fancy quilting machine that is:). Actually when I'm sewing on it I have it rolled up a fair amount more, with only about 6-8 inches of quilt showing in between.

Then you feed it thru by holding either side and trying to sew straight at the same time. This is good for working out your lats, delts and triceps, btw.

I put a red bow in the center so I could find it fast for the first few stabilizing cross seams. It proved quite intriguing to someone in the household...

Right after this when I came back in the bow was undone, so I guess the Requisite Quilt Strength Testing is complete and successful as well since Sam had to access the patchwork suspension bridge between the folding table and the ironing board which you can't quite see here in order to reach the bow.

Michael Corleone voice: I knew it was you, Sammo.

So there! Lots and lots sewing ahead of me but it's coming! And it rocks, if I do say so myself! Stand by for further installments... I really hope to have it finished this week, but if not then Aug. 1 is my absolute target since I have to start thinking about school around the 7th and wanted a bit of down time in between without the quilt fallout all over the house...

I promise I'll be on email tomorrow and will do some blog visitin' too!
bai

2 commentaires:

Applecart T. a dit…

i never like the ironing parts of sewing crafts, either. not that i do them much. . . i am latently old fashioned female. needle work is available, but doesn't take place.

your heat-dealings are amazing. and you're in the south. it's 100 here for a few days, and red ozone levels, etc. we live on the third floor of a brick building, and even in nice weather it's a huge struggle to get enough breeze through. it's why it has a sleeping porch. but the light 50 yards away at the county youth crime living place makes use of said porch difficult at best after sunset.

i lived in kc in a window-a/c-only place; it was in the bedroom, and loud and annoying, but at least it made sleeping cool. of course, i do miss the occasional hot night, even now.

last night i took a random walk at 10 p.m. and it was, well, hot. but calm and pleasing.

quilt on!

Susan a dit…

at least sleeping porches rock character-wise even when unusable! :) also I finally broke down and am using the AC despite the arctic chill in the livingroom - luckily there is a low supposedly energy-saving setting which makes it come on about 15 minutes every hour, then I stuck my two big fans strategically to pull air into the BR - it took a full day to cool off the bedroom (down to about 86 from the 93 it was at midnight the day I decided I had to go for the AC in a more full-fledged way) - tho I'm really really afraid of what my power bill is going to be now!

yay on your walk! I'm not doing much enjoying-outside these days; I'll have to try to get inspired from your outing, t. :)