12.7.06

quilting and sweating

Well I'm 1/2 done piecing the quilt top! It's not as fun to sew it as I thought - mostly 'cause I hate pressing each time I finish a seam (someday I'll hire a quilting helper to do all the stinking pressing) but it's coming along all the same. It's not quite as fun as it looked all laid out on the bed when I was planning the color shifts, mostly because the main purple I chose is more of a reddish purple and now I think it would have been a little less abrasive if it were a bluish purple instead but it's still going to be really fun I think.

Of course I forgot to bring my camera to the office tonight after the gym so that I could show you some fun shots of the various stages so you'll have to see those another time. :(

I've been working on it a lot late night since it's too hot to sleep until about 12 or 1am in my sultry abode. To answer Tracy's question... I do have AC and have actually resorted to using it in the afternoons about 6 or 7 days so far, especially when I have to work and the cats have to be there in the heat. I don't deserve much credit for being eco-minded because while I am perhaps not as prone to turn it on as some people, in the Really Hot part of the summer the only reason I don't use it more is that it works really poorly. It is a small window-type unit mounted thru the wall of my house. When it's on the livingroom is goose-pimple cold and the rest of the house is still hot enough to evoke Marlon Brando's sweaty head image from Apocalypse Now. This is regardless of what setting the AC is on or of what kind of fan system I set up to try to draw cool air into the bedroom and bath.

As of around 9h30 or 10h pm when the air outside finally becomes slightly cooler than inside, I turn on the attic fan to pull cool air in thru the windows. The noise notwithstanding (imagine someone using your livingroom for an airplane hangar and you're pretty close), my incredibly intelligent and easygoing cats* know that it feels pretty nice in the house when it is running so they come out and we all bask in the breeze and occasionally someone meows or yells at the top of their lungs to attempt conversation. We stand it for as long as possible, then I turn it off and the house heats up again in about 15 minutes. Alas.

Holy cow it's late so I'm going to head home - might be just in time to turn on the attic fan...

*yeah, they are relatively calm about the vacuum, too, freakily enough... Then again they both run if someone's playing the piano, so go figure.

Aucun commentaire: