13.10.06

Finally

got the Three Little Maids from School song out of my head ...oops, strike that, it's back now - dang! I shouldn't have mentioned it!!... Anyway I've had Gilbert & Sullivan in my head ever since last night when I was re-watching the last four episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm. (Yes, I was supposed to be grading, and did actually grade a fair amount, but I had to rewatch CYE because talking about the gigantic vagina scene with several of the TTers made me want to revisit it before taking the DVD back tonight; and of course CYE's are like Lays...)

I don't think they used any songs from The Mikado in previous seasons. I think I'd remember (well, I hope I'd remember... could be another early middle-age grey matter issue, or just simple sleep-deprivation). I love the incongruity of that music (Three Little Maids) in the background while Jeff and Larry are wrecking the Prius into someone's car on purpose or hiding matzah for the kids at the seder. Actually I just remembered there was some weird fusion-y jazz during the latter, not G&S, and most likely I'm wrong about the Prius scene as well, but you get the idea. It's pretty funny. And I have to think it's more funny for those of us who know what the song is and can even sing along to parts of it. If you didn't know the song I think it would just sound like standard fun Vaudeville magician or silent film background music, which is fun, too. Another level is added, tho, watching two wacky-looking guys going about some bit o' socially inappropriate if not downright non-PC hi-jinks or other while you sing to yourself "Three little maids from school are we, pert as a schoolgirl well can be..."

For that much fun it's worth having a song stuck in your head.

Of course some jazz enthusiast is walking around today with that wacky fusion stuck in his head thinking similar things about those of us who didn't know the words to it either... Nyernt nyernt.

3 commentaires:

Jessica a dit…

hi hi! reading your blog while eating breakfast. We are going to Shenandoah today! Yay! Except it is COLD. Why did I move north again?? 'cause this ain't the south, honey. The only reason they can call themselves south here is because of a certain war they fought on a certain side....

I don't think they have anything but instant grits here at the grocery *gasp* so I may have to ask you to send some. let me check out another store nearby tho first.

Anyway very fun thirtheen thursday thing, I may try to join next week.

Will write soon and send you a postcard.
Now who is babling on whose blog?

Scribbit a dit…

Anchorage Opera is doing HMS Pinafore this season and I've had season tickets for several years but I don't know if I can convince my husband to go for another year. He's not a fan. Sigh.

Susan a dit…

Michelle that rocks! I'd come go with you if I could :)... Since that's not probably in the cards, I hope you can talk him into it somehow! Sigh indeed.