since I'm buried in grading today :(
1. Not that there aren't high points, like crazy cats racing around the apt...
2. ...and lunch with a really fun former student planned for 11h30.
3. Wrote kind of a fun, albeit bitchy, post about our town then realized it's TT so I'll post it tomorrow - come back and read if you want to see me in all my curmudgeony glory.
4. It was warm enough yesterday afternoon not to put my wool sweater and fleece back on but simply to walk home in my fun linen top from teaching.
5. I'm reading different stuff now on my walk to and from school; I usually read the NYT Book Review but the last few days I'm reading the French translation of one of my favorite books, Surfacing, by my favorite author, Margaret Atwood.
6. I always eschew reading stuff in translation if I'm capable of reading the original (Atwood writes in English of course) but once in a blue moon I go ahead and read French translations after reading the English just 'cause it's interesting to see the translation. This time it's a combination of that and the fact that I'm trying to read more French these days since I have got away from it a bit.
7. I'm procrastinating again so I'm kinda bummed at myself but I'm trying to cut myself a break and just make sure I do better with the next batch of tests. I'm not sure why but last semester even tho I was a bit funked I hardly procrastinated at all (seriously I was like a new person - in that one respect anyway). This semester I feel loads better mood-wise but I'm putting stuff off like crazy.
8. Sam & Lucy are boycotting their food again the last day or so. This is par for the course when we are getting to the bottom of the latest batch; it is not quite up to their freshness standards by then, despite its storage in our fun airtight food bin. Also sometimes they decide that the bowls need washing earlier than normal. We've got at least another 5-6 days on this batch of food so I'm washing the bowls and hopefully that will appease them til it's time for another bag of Science Diet. They know they have to eat what's there anyway eventually or no more will go in the bowls, but they like to make their opinions known nonetheless. :)
9. My cordless mouse is sluggish this morning; might be nearing time for a new battery, which is not great because I have a really hard time opening it up for the battery exchange. It's one of those things kinda like those Chinese puzzle boxes or something where you slide it apart and you have to have just the right pressure on it to get the pieces to slide apart. Of course when you do it right it slides unbelievably easily, just to make you feel silly. Or else it's just me. :)
10. So grading 80 French 1010 tests today and 80 compositions, doing chapter grade averages for them and for my 25 Fren 1020 students as well. Actually have to do the 1020's first; I promised it would be done early today. At least their tests and compos are graded.
11. Just remembered I have to finish the WebCT (online courseware site) gradebook columns and formulas for the 1020's before I can enter the grades. Thank goodness since it's just the first chapter I don't have to do the intermediary Excel step yet (no math involved until next chapter when chapter grades will need to be averaged together for posting).
12. And yes, online courseware like WebCT and Blackboard are indeed designed to do the math for you so you don't have to fart around with Excels but our classes have too many components feeding into the grade in too many too complicated ways for WebCT's little fairly-unsophisticated spreadsheet capabilities, alas. Proof that technology doesn't always save you work.
13. I'm on a grilled cheese sandwich kick lately. I do that every once in a while. I think I've had grilled cheese sandwiches for every evening at-home meal the last week. I added tomatoes the last couple of times. OMG they are so yummy!... Just made the coffee and I know just what would be really delicious with it for breakfast!
Hey! Click anywhere on the widget above to link yourself - it works just like the list-y ones. I decided to experiment this week because this kind only takes one move to get it into the TT. Guess if no one uses it I'll know to go back to the other kind next time. :)
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants