- We were informed just before Christmas that they might not have money for us instructors to be full-time in the fall regardless of contract renewability. We could definitely work part-time but maybe no benefits. (Part-time would get us basically the same size checks, b/c less money but no benefits taken out, however at 44 I'm not keen on going back to no bennies.)
- My fulltimeness is only renewable for one more year after this one (07-08) anyway due to the absolute suckiness of large American universities who do not value instructors more than that.
- Since most other universities (but not Clems*n, crazily enough - seriously it's verily unheard-of to have indefinitely-renewable contracts for instructors at state schools) deal with instructor labor pretty much the same as AU and since students in other universities where I could teach as an instructor have students with pretty much the same level of self-importance and overactive entitlement genes as here, I'm not keen to go thru a big move just to do the same thing somewhere else unless it were part-time as a fallback or as a budget booster in the evenings or something.
- I'm not overly content with my job anyway so it's probably time to start figuring out something else to do with my life. (Har!!!)
- When I got home at New Year's there were surveyor flags in the yard so my landlords might be deciding to join the swarm of property-selling people who think the condo market still isn't saturated here. True, I could move here in town in order to teach my last contract year but I don't want to go to that much trouble just to keep doing that.
- Good friends here notwithstanding, I truly don't want to live in Aub*rn for the rest of my life. That is, I would need something more to keep me here, or at least to keep me more content here, like a Great Job, for example.
#'s 2, 3, and 4 are why I'm looking at things other than doing what I'm doing now. Originally this quest was to start next fall. #'s 1 and 5 are why it's starting now.
And despite #5, I know down deep inside that even if I get a really good job, I'm still seeing The Little Village on the Plains as not exactly permanent. Which means if I got the College of Ed. job and it turned out to rock hugely I would be in trouble... Hmmm. I still have to confirm my suspicions with the landlord but in a way it doesn't matter now unless the COE job happened to pan out. If they aren't selling and I got that job, I could pay off serious debt next year...
Color yourselves scooped!