29.10.09

visual victuals

In no particular order, and only partly because you've been neglected (mostly because I don't feel like working right now) here are some views of our goings-on...

Clutter/knickknacks are carefully controlled chez nous. Of course you can guess why. Here's an example of a sanctioned trinket-safe spot...


Another sanctioned refuge of wacky little things that would rather not become cat toys is the whatnot that Dean made me years ago. Installing it is a little labor intensive so it's usually the last thing to go up anytime I move, and the one big box of crazy little mementos that normally live on it is always the last thing to be unpacked. Still, I don't normally take 1.5 years to get it all accomplished! But this time I did. So my bedroom finally has that last big chunk of Susan/home/me-ness in it now and the last box of stuff from the move was finally dug into. I think it turned out better than ever before...


And speaking of old favorite things, my poor old Clarks Maryjanes that I got the first fall back in Aub*rn (2002), have finally worn beyond repair. They look pretty good still from a distance... (Sam's feet look quite fun next to them as well)...


But closeup (excuse the blur) you can see an example of why they are now retired. The shoe guy in Anderson has fixed them twice but there is nothing to stitch or glue to anymore but what they come loose each time now. So sad... Still I can't bear to put them in the thrift store bag - I've put them in and taken them out twice now... Also there's the issue of their not really being wearable now so who could even use them? But I'm even more loathe just to toss them, so they keep being shuttled from spot to spot in the house for now...


Curry anyone? This was Sunday night, instead of grading and getting ready for the week. :) Turned out quite yummy!


And a couple of gangas on a weekend when I was down to just barely enough money to last til payday. Score!


I had just been lamenting the fact that two more old long-sleeved t-shirts had become too worn to be used for anything but bed... Stopped in to Rite-Aid Friday night before meeting the other FR girls for a glass of wine at Blue Heron and they had these cotton Hanes long-sleeved tees for $4/each! You can see the funness here at least tho the color is off and I didn't notice til now: the lefthand one is actually aqua, the right hand one is dusky blue, not purple at all. The middle one is true to actual color.



And the mini-antiquing I did Saturday... against my better judgment, but controlled myself admirably. Three bee-yew-tee-full linen hankies and an orange refrigerator dish in perfect condition (the un-chipped ones are quite the endangered species nowadays, especially if you need it to be affordable of course).


I also took phone pics of two furniture pieces I'm thinking about for my New Year's antique. Being good and only buying big stuff 2x a year, and still "big stuff" for me is nowhere near what it might be for those with larger homes or pocketbooks... anyway I'll have to link those for you later and you can help me ponder. I will wait a few paychecks at least to see what happens; let providence help the decision... One is a smallish buffet, oak, the other is a maple dresser that I would still use as a buffet... leaning towards the former. On verra...

8 commentaires:

Bill a dit…

Glad to see you getting out a bit. The antique pieces look really great by the way - that's a score!
The pièce de résistance is that curry! Girl it looks so gooood ...

Susan a dit…

too bad I can't send you some Bill! it turned out great, if I do say so myself :)

Applecart T. a dit…

you CAN never have enough proper refrigerator dishes, says the spouse whose collection of cylindrical plastic thai take-out containers has diminished (there were a few camping chili excursions to blame and some natural attrition due to splits caused by age / gravity / washing) and been replaced by recycling #5 lunch-meat containers … plastic does not ever give up that gross meaty smell (esp. if ones spouse uses them for bbq/smoked meat storage) …

and, those shirts were finally close to their actual production cost, go, S., go!

curry is always grand.

curry powder makes pumpkin seeds good, even to a professed hater of p. seeds (gear).

and, the shelf of lovelies is lovely; i haven't gotten around after 2 yrs. to put most things out … dusting is my anti-creed …

and, finally, i have 8 pairs of shoes setting out (in boxes mostly, which i've saved) on the floor wondering if they are able to be saved. two have split soles, perhaps a result of age, climate or design (oooh, but i loved them the MOST), and the others proved to be catalog approximations …

yet others – my point — might be donated to the local history museum. not kidding. they prefer provenance and stories and photos of one wearing, but they always say that they have little examples of modern-day stuff for the future.

research local costume / textile collectors?

thrift store is not the place for beloved and broken wear.

*persi*

Bill a dit…

Okay, I'm starting a collection of funds to get both you and Applecart T some new shoes! Don't let your blogger go barefoot ... contribute! Now!!

Susan a dit…

too funny Bill- it's not that we have no new ones - just too many old ones! :) and t - I hate dusting - that's an added reason there are only knicknacks in a couple of places - they get dusted about 2x/yr :)

Allison a dit…

coucou! so, being that i have nothing better to do at work, i've taken in upon myself to find you new shoe replacements. here are some that look pretty similar to your sad, old, battered pair of clarks:

http://www.zappos.com/clarks-unwhirl-black-leather

http://www.zappos.com/propet-tampa-walker-black

http://www.zappos.com/product/7438365/color/3 (not as close, but still neat)

bises!

Susan a dit…

oh là là t'es trop géniale Allison! quelles jolies chaussures!! merci beaucoup - maintenant si tu as encore du temps tu pourrais toujours venir ici me faire des corrections des compos et quizzes si tu voulais... :) he he he

Allison a dit…

ca me ferais tres contente de partir d'auburn, MAIS c'est pas possible maintenant :( cependant, si tu me donnes les tâches pour faire sur l'internet, j'ai beeeaaauucccouuppp de temps pour cela