17.3.12

layering

We're having knitting time at my house tonight, Sherri, Jay and Mary. I've decided to make a couple of verrines. All the rage in France the last few years and I've been wanting to make some for ages.

Normally verrines entail a variety of textures and/or flavors. Often it's a case of flavors that might seem incongruous but which blend crazy well. They can be sucrées (sweet/dessert) or salées (savory/appetizer).

I have a couple of really fun ones in mind for some future event which would be something like "School Lunch" or "USA Classics" - one pbj, one tuna salad/potatochips/dillpickles, one which I have yet to figure out how to do that would play with the yumminess of tomato soup and grilled cheese.

Tonight I'm going to do the pbj (Kelly gave me some incredibly yummy cabernet and pinot grig JAM the other day - among other fun things!) so it will be layers of that (two different colors - fun!) and my Smuckers natural peanut butter, and crunched up white melba toast (I think - I might use unsalted crackers or something - I'm going to look around at the groc.)

With that I _was_ going to do this one:

Pears, roquefort, cream, walnuts.

Or possibly another more sweet one. Pondering: peach/fromage blanc/vanilla or something with chocolate... altho part of me thinks one of them should entail some green... I looked for something chocolate/mint but there isn't a great selection so I might have to invent one. I'll let you know how it goes.

At the moment we can only have three max because I only have two 6-piece sets of my 2-oz shot glasses I had envisioned using. Luckily there are only 4 of us ce soir.

I REALLY want to do another little all-verrine soirée sometime soon - possibly in May... on verra - where I could feature the lunch ones plus some others.


Aucun commentaire: