18.5.12

acceptance, a pretty thought but I'm not there yet obviously

This was actually our covenant group discussion topic last night. Both Karen and I ran across this Rumi poem that fit the bill pretty well, tho implementing these ideas into my life right now is considerably more difficult than referring to them for discussion.

Still, it was a Rumi piece I had never taken note of before, and Rumi nearly always rocks, so there.


The Guest House
This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.
 
--Rumi (Barks trans.)

1 commentaire:

Bill a dit…

Hi Susan. The Rumi really spoke to me. I am not familiar with his works but this piece was just what I needed in my life also. Thanks for sharing this.

I'm sending you positive vibes from up North here and will continue to hope for something really good to turn up for you.

Maybe when you feel like it you can posts some of your works from the studio. Sent you an email awhile ago but I am sure that you are overwhelmed with things right now.

Be well.